This book presents the proceedings of the 10th Training Course in the field of editing, titled “Editing Manuscripts of Qurʾānic Sciences: Fundamentals, Rules and Problems”, organised by the Centre for the Study of the Philosophy of Islamic Law at Al-Furqān, in partnership with Dar al-Hadith al-Hassania Institute (Rabat, Morocco), that took place between 29 February and 5 March 2016, on the premises of Dar al-Hadith al-Hassania Institute in Rabat.
In this book, the reader will find all the lectures delivered in the Training Course, addressing different aspects of critical edition, revolving around:
● Editing manuscript on the Qurʾānic sciences, considering the diversity of areas, multiple possibilities, and the editor’s knowledge and culture.
● Editing the Qur’ānic text: comprehension of authoritative link to origin and contexts of revelation.
● Proposals and views for a robust approach to editing manuscripts in the Qur’ānic and related sciences.
● Muṣḥaf manuscripts: aspects of interest, and the position on their research.
● Manuscripts of the Mashriqī tradition in the discipline of Qur’ān orthography: introduction and importance.
● Investigating attribution: al-Ṭabarānī’s alleged exegesis text as an example.
● Manuscripts with unknown authors; importance and treatment: Qur’ānic science texts as an example.
● Treatment of Prophetic traditions (Ḥadīth) texts in editing manuscripts on exegesis and Qur’ānic sciences.
● Methodologies for verification of Israelite narrations in books of exegesis.
● The Arabic and orientalist schools of edition.
● Subject cataloguing of exegesis (tafsīr) textbooks: concept, methodology, and purpose.